Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fingers Crossed

The most dreaded sign when driving in California is the chain control sign. Cal Trans does an amazing job in keeping I-80 open all winter, but they require you to chain up for the smallest snowflake. The road will just be wet and they require chains.

A couple weeks ago I signed up for a 50K race in Pacifica hoping to get out of the mountains for a couple days and to get in some riding in the California sun. The weather conspired against me and I-80 was closed on the day I was supposed to leave. Semis were playing bumper cars and everyone lost. I've lived in Reno a long time, but I've never seen this much consecutive wet weather. It's a desert!!

Anyhow, I left for the race Friday after the roads were reopened. I kept my fingers and toes crossed that I wouldn't have to chain up. Passing through Truckee the skies darkened and the carry chains sign was on. Clearing the pass I thought my troubles were over, but later realized that maybe it would have been a good thing if they had required chains....... on the semis at least. I was cruising along at about 35mph when the semi I was passing decided to slam on his brakes. Immediately his trailer was going sideways down the freeway inches from my front bumper. I tapped frantically on the brakes hoping against all hopes that there wouldn't be contact. Amazingly he took his foot off the brake and the trailer fell in line behind the truck.

At this point I was desperate to get around him, so I tried the slow motion pass again. The second I was next to him, he hit the brakes again, but this time the trailer was coming at the passenger side of the car. More frantic brake tapping ensued and I gingerly steered my car off the left hand side of the road. I've never had such a close call driving before and I think my heart rate was higher during that drive than it has been ever during a race.



Leaving Truckee the carry chains sign was on, but no sign of Cal Trans yet. Maybe they are on a coffee break.


Winter wonderland!


The unlucky people that were stopped on I-80 eastbound that had to chain up. See the road is just wet! Evil Cal Trans.


I eventually made it over the pass and to the race. Then I forgot to take pictures during the run. I did carry the camera the entire 50K though. Lots of ups and lots of downs. 7000 ft worth. It was beautiful, wet, and muddy. I loved every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment