Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dog Days

Winter in Reno can be difficult at times. It's not really cold or snowy enough to go ski, and it's not warm enough to ride outside. I continue running all winter, but riding in 40F temps has no appeal. Last year I was able to motivate for the trainer, but this year I keep putting off rides.

Skiing is possible. It's about an hour drive, but then I feel guilty about leaving the dogs behind. When all else fails, I take the dogs for a run.


I enjoy the cold of winter, but I could do without the mud. The dogs love it. Kona pounces in it with a smug look on her face. Bliksem has longer hair and just wallows in. They love every minute. The trick to winter running is to go as early as possible when the mud is still frozen, or else you end up with this........


Mud stilts!!! 

Up and up and up we go. Above Reno the views are usually spectacular. Today I could barely see the city. There is an inversion layer stuck in the valley. My treat for running up above it is a temperature a good 10 degrees warmer than down below and sweet sweet sunshine. 


Kona and Bliksem's mud covered belly. 


Back home a while later the dogs are tired and happy. Another dog day!


No comments:

Post a Comment