Sunday, June 12, 2011

A long hiatus

When it rains it pours.... but at least I didn't miss any nice weather. We've been having I've been sick for nearly 6 weeks, but it looks like I'm finally on the correct antibiotic. On the drive to Wildflower at the end of April I got a little bit of a sore throat. I put it at the back of my mind for the race, and a flat ended up taking me out of the race. I guess I really need to learn how to change a tubular.... or at least carry a spare.

On the drive home the sore throat came back. Of course I worked the next day. I didn't feel that bad so I worked that week and headed down to start the Miwok 100K the next weekend. I felt horrible from the start of the race and pulled the plug at the turnaround. I was stoked to get that far. Every year I run as many miles as I am old and mission accomplished..... barely. The views were totally worth getting sick for though. I can't wait until I'm healthy so I can go back and run on these trails again.

Sunrise over Golden Gate Bridge



As usual I worked again the next day and what a mistake. By the next day I couldn't hear out of my ear, swallow, or get my eyes open. I never ever go to the doctor, but this time I knew it was necessary. After four hours hanging around the waiting room I was sent home on antibiotic #1. 3 trips to the doctor and 3 antibiotics later I am finally feeling better.

In the middle of this the Tour of California came to Tahoe. Gary, Keevin, and I had great plans to ride all weekend and follow the race on Sunday and Monday. Then it started dumping snow. Crazy mid winter snow. We opted to drive up and watch the race instead. During the course of the morning we heard the race was on, then it wasn't, then it was, and a final it was canceled. We did have fun hanging out near Emerald Bay, but it wasn't the weekend or weather I had envisioned.

Keevin chasing random cyclists up the hill
Gary and I clowning around

Maybe the racers heard about all the bear attacks and decided not to chance it.


Gary and Keevin on the bridge on the hike to Eagle Lake (above Emerald Bay)


I just retrieved my mountain bike from the shop 2 days ago. Apparently I did a number on it during that 12 hour race in January. The first ride back was pure bliss..... can't believe it's been a couple months with no mountain bike.

Racing plans for the summer have changed drastically. I'm back to base training this week and probably back to racing in August. It was very frustrating at times, but down time did make me focus on what is really important in life.... like my bike. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment