Thursday, June 16, 2011

Breathing.....

Winter is tough..... especially when it lasts through May. With the cold weather and being sick for 6 weeks it has been a really tough couple months for me. Getting outside and playing is how I balance my crazy life. It's when I feel whole and happy, and to be on complete rest for over a month was pure torture. This past week the weather did a complete shift. What had been the high temps were now the lows. This week I got two amazing sessions in. One was snow running on the Tahoe Rim Trail and the other night riding until nearly 11pm under a full moon. I feel so alive again!!

Usually by this time in the season I've already got base and have some races in the legs. One of my favorite places to get in base miles is the Tahoe Rim Trail above Tahoe. I usually head south from Mt. Rose Meadows until I hit Marlette Lake and then back. Since I was finally feeling healthy I headed up to my favorite run spot only discover 5-6 feet of snow covering the trail. Since I'm not as serious at this point in the season and Bliksem was looking particularly excited, I went for a snow run. Snow shoes would have perfect, but I didn't even think about it when I left my house. I didn't even make it close to Marlette, but Bliksem and I did have a blast. I also discovered that I really am happy that I'm not running Western States this year. I can only imagine how much snow is on the trail.

The views on the Rim Trail are amazing!!

Bliks checking the view.

It's going to be a long time before the trail is snow free....

Warm enough to run in a skirt except for when I fell through the top layer of snow

Making dog snow angels


Adventure #2 was spur of the moment. I got off work on time and walked outside and had an itch to go mountain biking. I raced home and loaded the bike, dog, and lights. I got some funny looks at the trail head as I headed out just as the sun was going down.

What a magical night. There was no one out on the trails. It was just me, my dog, and the wind. The sun went down and the full moon came up. It's an amazing experience just to sit on the side of a mountain in the dark. Love it!!

Just before the sun went down

Bliks and the full moon

Moonlight over the city

No comments:

Post a Comment