Sunday, May 3, 2009

Xterra Vegas

I was really unsure how I'd feel going to the first Xterra of the season and not be participating. As we packed up in Reno, Conrad noticed that I packed up my road bike and left the mountain bike behind. Now there was no way I could be talked into racing. I've only done a handful of runs since the stress fracture and my heart just wasn't into this race. Friday I went on a road ride through Lake Mead area and was pleasantly surprised. Quiet freshly paved roads with a huge shoulder. I wish I had another day in the area to explore.


It's really a treat to see the desert this green. I've only been able to see a couple cactus in bloom.

Red sandstone cliffs surrounded sections of the road. 
It was rolling hills the entire way.

I almost started crying when I finally got to the store after running out of water 20 head wind filled miles earlier. 

Conrad on the bike
"I fell over there"


Conrad had some fond memories of his first borrowed bike.
Christine Jeffries leading the men out of the water.


It was a great race for spectating as both the bike and run were 2 loops. The crowd got to see Conrad and Josiah charge out for their second loop of the run stride for stride. In the end I never felt, even once, the urge to be out there racing. It was much more fun to talk to long lost friends and watch them duel it out in the hot Las Vegas sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment