Thursday, December 16, 2010

The aftermath


Post race morning included a swim and much needed pull-a-part at the Lava Java. Actually it was more like a bob in the ocean. I was hoping the movement would help my leg recover a bit, but I had no luck there. It still felt like a knife was stuck in my shin, and every step seemed to make it hurt more. I opted for spending a couple days on crutches versus making it worse. It ended up taking about 4 days for the swelling to go completely away. It was time to relax and maybe play.

Getting up was the hardest part of the next week. I was sleeping on a blow up mattress on the lanai which was amazing, but getting up from it was close to impossible. I remember waking up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom, but having no clue how I was going to get there. 10 minutes later after crawling and bracing on the walls I would get there.

Lava Java pull-a-part. Yum Yum!!

Apparently I wasn't the only one craving Lava Java breakfast.


The day after awards the group was invited to a paddle with Keauhou Canoe Club. Amazing experience that I was lucky to be able to do a couple times on this trip. My waterproof camera didn't make the trip, but check out the link below to see Slater Fletcher's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJKNWNwPTnY

Other than that it was time to do anything except bike and run. Swimming still felt good so I stuck with that. There was also a farewell stop at Kalamas. I found this place when I was here in June for Honu 70.3. I'd run out of water on the climb up from Kealakekua Bay when this place appeared. Salvation! They have the yummiest ahi spinach nori wraps and shaved ice. I planned my shorter ride days here so that I could stop on the way home.


I"ll be dreaming of this menu until I return next year.

Wheelchair races at Honaunau with Slater Fletcher.

Another treat was the tour that we got to take at Lions Gate Coffee Farm. It was a lot of fun to see the whole process from tree to cup, and we got to enjoy a latte on the lanai after.

http://www.coffeeofkona.com/more.htm


Learning how the beans are dried.




The last couple days on Kona went by quickly and it was time to go home. The 10 weeks here have been an amazing opportunity, and I feel truly blessed. There were highs and lows, and I'm going home a different person that the one that came here. It is something to learn and grow from. Hawaii will always be a special place for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment